Logo
Please visit our Sponsors

FAQs about the Damsels of the genus Neopomacentrus

Related Articles: Neopomacentrus,

Related FAQs: Damsel Identification, Damsel Selection, Damsel Compatibility, Damsel Feeding, Damsel DiseaseDamsel Reproduction

A Neopomacentrus

Damsel color change? No image I bought a tank from a guy who was getting out of the hobby... it was a 50 gallon tank with 1 6" Jeweled damsel, <A bruiser here for sure> two Clarkiis (3" and 3.5"), 1 cleaner wrasse (dimidiatus), 1 coral beauty (1.5"), 1 Bristletooth Tang (4"), 1 scopas tang (3.5"), and one 2" unknown damsel. I've quarantined the cleaner, coral beauty, and scopas to move to my 150 gallon (currently 2 ocellaris, 1 canary wrasse... note the lack of the "Coris" misnomer :)... <Ok... though I doubt this Halichoeres minds... I don't> 1 2.5" starry eyed blenny, and two blue neon gobies. Unfortunately, the Bristletooth didn't make it:( My question concerns the "unknown" damsel. He's a dark indigo (almost a dull black) except for his yellow tail that extends beyond the tail to encompass the back fringe of the dorsal and ventral fins. He also has blue edging on some fins. <Photo please... or maybe a trip by you to a large library (likely college with Bio./Zoo. dept., for a look/see at Gerald Allen's works... oh, or a perusal through the Pomacentrid family pix on Fishbase.org... http://fishbase.org/identification/specieslist.cfm?famcode=350&areacode=> Do the traditional blue yellowtailed damsel have a darker adult stage like the jeweled damsel? <Traditional? Mmmm, no> Any idea what this might be? Thanks for all you guys do!! Scott <Take a look-see at the linked file... and/or send a pic or two please. Bob Fenner> <Oh, I do see the pix included... This does look like a Neopomacentrus species... maybe Neopomacentrus violascens... search re... What do you think? BobF. >

Re: Damsel color change?  Neopomacentrus f', Lg. Angel sel.     2/22/09 Looks like you nailed it!! Thanks! Any different behavior for this species? <Different? This is one of the genera of Damsels that are neither totally solitary/territorial, nor schooling-social... sort of mean, but not totally stand-offish> The one I have is VERY shy and retiring... but I think being overcrowded, including a couple bruisers (the 2 Clarkiis and the 6" jeweled damsel may not have given him much choice. <Agreed> BTW the cleaner (who IS eating well and looking very healthy... thank goodness), the coral beauty and the scopas have successfully made the transition to my 150 gallon. Think they really appreciate the extra room. Unrelated question, in the 150, besides the scopas, false Percs (2), canary wrasse, starry eyed blenny, coral beauty, and cleaner wrasse, was thinking of adding (over time) a threadfin butterfly, a Naso, and a large angel. Initially was looking into King/Passer, but after further consideration and reading, think maybe too large/aggressive for a 150gallon. Any suggestions for a smaller (reasonably priced:) large angel? <Mmm, my best choice here... A Koran, P. semicirculatus. Bob Fenner>

Neopomacentrus azysron? (damsel id) Hello folks-<Hi Steve, MacL here> I hope you have patience for one more Damsel ID query-<Always and this was an interesting one for me.> Does this resemble Neopomacentrus azysron? <It does very closely resemble it. However, and azysron is characterized by a solid yellow tail.  Sadly i had to rule that out since yours has the blue or black lines on the tail.> Happy to say it's been very happy in my tank for more than two years- frustrated that I can't quite nail the id after many web searches. <I must say I have gone around and around with it myself. Some of the other crew feels it is a Neopomacentrus cyanomos (The "Regal Demoiselle").  I see similarities with the Crescent or regal damsel but if it is its not from the indo-pacific but instead from another area and might possibly be a color morph. Indonesian fish metallic green to black with a distinctive white spot at end on dorsal fin base. That's not your fish at all.  However there are a couple of pictures that are similar to it when you click on the fishbase picture.> It displays what appears to be non-hostile (flirtatious?) fin-splaying behavior around my GSM female; even huddles with my GSM pair when frightened. About 3", not counting the long streamers on the end of its tail- just a bit of yellow on the inner part of the tail and bottom fin- not as much as appears on fishbase specimen photos-  any ideas? thanks very much! <Personally I think it might be a cross of some kind.  But that's just my opinion.  Take a look at the regal or crescent damsel in www.fishbase.org and see what you think. MacL>

Become a Sponsor Features:
Daily FAQs FW Daily FAQs SW Pix of the Day FW Pix of the Day New On WWM
Helpful Links Hobbyist Forum Calendars Admin Index Cover Images
Featured Sponsors: